Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 07:27:20PM +0200, amand Tihon wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002 10:47:55 -0500
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:

> > On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:21:34PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > > When I get 160 GiB of new HDD space (within a few days), I'm going

> > <lart>
> > That's spelled "GB".
> > </lart>

> I recognise it's not well known, but he was right. 1 GiB is 1 gibibyte,
> ie 2^30 bytes.
> See http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html for more "binary
> multiples".

That the people who put labels on hard drives are incapable of binary
math, and that the IEC feels they have any business meddling with a
system that worked fine for years before they decided to get involved,
does not make 'GiB' correct, or even useful.  That anyone believes this
new set of prefixes will /reduce/ confusion when RAM, file sizes,
transfer speeds, and bandwidth rates (all of which have a greater direct
impact on the average computer user than the total number of bytes
available for use on a 160GB hard drive) is positively laughable.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer