Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

Glenn McGrath wrote:

On Thu, 23 May 2002 07:31:05 -0400
"Michael Stone" <mstone@debian.org> wrote:

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:37:40PM +0200, Renaud Guerin wrote:
I've read the performance improvements in the case of Gentoo *really*
make a difference.
Do you have actual benchmarks rather than hearsay from some leet /.
kiddie? No one has ever come to debian with a convincing set of numbers
that indicate that optimizing intel builds buys any significant
advantage.

It would be very stupid to suggest it makes it slower.

We should consider it our obligation to allow our users to take full
advantage of their hardware, that doesnt mean we have to provide
pre-compiled binaries for every sub-arch, but we should allow users to
build their own optimised packages.

IMHO our packaging system is severly lacking in this regard, i think
dpkg-architecutre needs to evolve, its a pretty hairy problem though.

Glenn

At the actual state to build i686 I had to made small changes
to dpkg, glibc and gcc. apt can be rebuilt cleanly but you can't
use it efficently until there will be a spec-arch official mirror.

I will make my patches available later this evening eu time.
I don't ensure that they break something else since Im still
toying in a chroot environment but atleast is a point from where
people can start.

Fabio

PS --force-architecture it will be your best friend :-)