Re: Bandwidth monitoring

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:20:13PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> Whats the best way in Debian to monitor IP packets sent/received over an
> external (ie. volume charged) connection? ie. How many bytes did host A
> receive on what port? Which internal host received the most external
> traffic? etc?
> [...]
> Ideally, any program should also work with masquerading, although that
> might be difficult (last I tried, tcpdump showed incoming and outgoing
> packets with different IP addresses).
>
> Any others?

Pick up a cheap Cisco router from a failing ISP and export its flow
statistics?

ntop, as you mentioned, seems to be the userspace tool for this.  I have
seen the same problems with stability that you have, and it gets worse with
large amounts of traffic.

It seems like you should be able to do this with iptables accounting, though
you might have to configure a rule for each host that you want to monitor.
Could be automated, but doesn't sound very appealing.  It's easy to save and
restore the counters across restarts and such, though, which is nice.

--
 - mdz