Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Em Mon, 20 May 2002 20:41:54 -0400, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> escreveu:

> Santiago Vila wrote:
> > The directory /hurd is not "new" because it is the directory that has
> > always been used for the purpose it's currently being used.
>
> So you're saying that anytime I find a peice of software that predates
> Debian or the FHS, I can just let it install into /usr/local or /etc/
> or /hurd or whatever it's always used? Cool. Will keep that in mind.

I think we have to keep in mind that we're not talking about GNU/Linux
here... we must see GNU/Hurd as a different system, and let it
use its specifics when they work alright... I don't think including
/hurd will break any software that follows FHS, so it is acceptable
for the base system, IMHO...

We must remember that Debian policy and FHS are being worked to make
software run better on different systems... not to make it harder
to make Debian GNU/Hurd possible =P... we should not take them
as unchangeable, and as The Right Thing(tm) always... there'll be
times in which they'll have to change so that things work better...
they shall work helping, not puting difficulties on new/better ideas

Besides, it comes to my mind that LSB means Linux Standard Base,
so that should not apply for Hurd... yes, I think Debian GNU/Hurd
should follow it where it won't make things break... we should not
make Debian a Linux-only thing, and that's what people seems to
be trying to do in this thread (not everyone, of course)

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org> * <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>