Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> Uh.  There is a difference between an interface and the implementation of
> that interface.  The first comment was about Hurd server binaries, which can
> come from untrusted users who are allowed to implement whatever they want in
> response to a remote procedure call.  The second comment was about the
> actual interface definition, of what we expect reasonable servers to
> implement.  That is stable, well defined, never changed, and will never
> change (only grow by more interfaces).

Marcus was unclear in the previous message; let me spell it out to be
more precise.

There are two interfaces here.  One is the library ABI interfaces.
Nothing about these is different in structure with the Hurd.  Of
course all the relevant libraries are versioned.

The other is the RPC interfaces that the servers use to talk to each
other.  These are basically static, and don't change except by
extension.