Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 01:42:24PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> No, GNU is GNU/Hurd.

Yes. I think if there's any discrimination it's from certain hurd people
who know that hurd is the One True Way and linux is this useless upstart
that must be stamped out. Hence the need for the / to seperate Linux
from the god-like. It's fascinating to see the inconsistencies in this
position. "linux" can't be called an OS, because it's just a kernel. So
it must be called "gnu/linux" because it's the gnu os running on a linux
kernel. But Jeroen wants to port the "gnu os" to debian. WTH does that
mean? I guess GNU/Linux (stupid term from the beginning) really was just
a propaganda name--any OS with linux under it just isn't adaquet for the
rarefied gnuistas? Most people would say that the OS here is
debian--it's a superset of gnu and includes non-fsf stuff. But Jeroen
wants to toss that out and replace it with the gnu OS? (This scheme
isn't, apparantly, just the addition of the hurd kernel to the debian
OS, based on his previous contributions to this flamewar.) This makes no
sense. We have an OS; our OS is debian, we've been using it sucessfully
for years. I think that many debian developers would be willing to make
minor concessions to add another kernel to debian, but why on earth
would we tear down what we've built so someone can put our name on their
own edifice?

--
Mike Stone