Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:

> > One has to prove they can follow the current standard, before attempting to
> > change.
>
> Could you please give me the standard describing how to port Debian to
> another operating system? I couldn't find it, but of course I'm just a
> random fool and you're God, so you can probably give me the url.

There is none, and you know it.  That has nothing to do with what I said.

The current standard is how Debian functions.  hurd should be molded to fit
Debian, not Debian molded to fit hurd.  Modifying Debian to work with hurd,
means that *ALL* other ports of Debian need to be modified.  Is that what you
really want?  Can you honestly suggest this course of action?

> > And, hurd has not even done that.
>
> Done what? Being compatible with Linux? That won't happen.

Who said anything about Linux?   This is *Debian* you must be compatible with.

I am not surprised that you attempt to misdirect this pointless thread with
more pointlessness, by saying that this is an argument about hurd and Linux.

> > Once we see that they can fit in with the rest of Debian, then hurd will be
> > given the credence it desires.  Until then, most requests will fall on deaf
> > ears.
>
> I doubt the Hurd can fit i with the rest of Debian. We need a lot of
> changes for that, especially in the attitude of the cabals, I don't
> think that will ever happen.

The hurd cabals, maybe.