Re: packaging system

begin  Matt Zimmerman  quotation:

> On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 08:02:53PM +0200, HAESSIG Jean-Christophe wrote:
>
> > Adam Heath wrote:
> > >
> > >What is deity?
> > >

> > AFAIK it is the brand new front-end to the debian packaging system.
> > It will replace dselect in the new version of Debian. Even if it is
> > a front-end it can possibly provide some advanced sorting features so
> > it isn't necessary to implement features in the core packaging system.
> > I realize i shouldn't have written this since my question is more
> > related to the underlying software (apt and dpkg).
>
> deity is not even included in the new version of Debian (3.0, woody), much
> less replacing dselect.

I have the impression that deity was a project from a few years ago that
was intended to replace dselect, but was never completed and is pretty
much dead now. Is this about right?

At present, aptitude seems to be the most likely candidate to replace
dselect. I remember trying it about a year ago and not liking it much,
but I tried it again recently and now prefer it to dselect. It seems to
have improved quite a lot since my first look. Now if only there were a
GTK version...

Craig