Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

On Fri, 3 May 2002 15:20, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Change type to ext3 in /etc/fstab
> >
> > /etc/fstab is on the root file system.  Therefore it's impossible for
> > the contents of /etc/fstab to influence the root mount process unless
> > somehow the boot loader takes note of it.
>
> To me this is what I thought initially.  Remember boot process mount
> root partition as RO and run fsck on it.  Appearently, fsck actually run
> program fsck.* based on /etc/fstab entry.  Thus stupid fsck.ext3,ext2
> symlink (Yes it looks like it is better to be symlink) is needed.  So
> above message is not completely correct.  If fsck is successful, it
> remounts as RW.

"mount -o remount" does not allow you to change the file system type.  It
doesn't refuse the option or give a warning message, it just quietly ignores
it.

This is hardly surprising, as it's not possible to truely umount a file
system with open files (/bin/mount is the file in question).

> I thought loading modules ext3 and ext2 in this order and mounting ext3
> enabled root file system gave me ext3 system.  My /proc/mounts:

I suspect that something has changed in recent e2fsprogs which affects this,
I can't reproduce the problem I had before and the changelog in e2fsprogs is
useless for such things (upstream changelog that is).