Re: 88 Priority violations in woody

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:20:46PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Looking for these sorts of bugs at this point in time is _not_ the right
> way to go about improving Debian's quality.

Actually I attempted to do something on a couple of my machines almost a
year ago which I had read should be possible: install all of optional or
higher priority, and nothing else, at the same time.
These attempts failed miserably because of two types of problems:
- conflicting optional packages.
- the bugs that are mentioned here, packages depending on lower priority
  (extra in this case) packages.
Both are policy violations.

I started filing bugs about it at the time, not mass filing - batches of
about a dozen a day, for a few days, and got told by an ftpadmin [1] to stop
it, and they would take care of it themselves as they already knew about
it: http://ftp-master.debian.org/unmet-sid.html

Apparently, some people have had a lack of time - I know the feeling, and
I'm not blaming anyone - so now we're stuck with it.

Regards,

Filip

[1] mstone if I'm not mistaken; although he's not listed on
    ftp-master.debian.org (anymore?)

--
"Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are."
	-- Martin Schulze