Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:41:37PM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> On Thu, 2 May 2002, Michael Meskes wrote:
>
> > I'm at a loss trying to mount an ext3 root partition using the standard
> > kernel-image packages. Usually I compile my kernels myself with ext3
> > build in, but now I have a situation where we have to use the deb
> > package.

it works fine also on pre-build kernel package from debian

> > I was expecting that all I need to do is call mkinitrd once to get the
i never heard of mkinitrd, it suspect it is not needed if you install a
pre-built kernel. i also used make-kpkg and still i never used mkinitrd.
yes i use initrd, i have everything as module (even the ide one).

> > correct initrd image, reboot and that's it. But it simply does not work.
how the hell it doesn't work? does it mount the root file system? which
one? did you tell your favourite boot loader to use the initrd file?

you should provide some more info...

> > All docs I found so far suggest it should, though. But on our machine the
> > root filesystem is constantly mounted as ext2 (as listed in
> > /proc/mounts) but no error message is issued. The ext3 module is loaded
> > but listed as unused.

are you sure you really have a ext3 filesystem? did you make a mke2fs
-j or tune2fs -j ? sorry if i was too basic..

> > To make matters even more strange on one machine a hard reset did not
> > cause a filesystem check despite the partition being mounted as ext2
> > while on another one the filesystem check did come up.

i got frustrated for some time while my fstab had a ext2 fs type for my
root. even if it was mounted and used as ext3, mount showed always it was
a ext2, until i updated /etc/fstab..

> Same situation here. I would be really interested to see how someone gets
> it going with ext3 as a module.
> *t

it loads modules from the initrd... great stuff from great staff..

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50