Re: ftpmaster problems

On Wed, 01 May 2002, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
>                   I have asked in various places why the powers have come
>                   up with such a requirement but have ___never___ found
>                   anybody who could tell me why linking with openssl
>                   should be a problem.

The OpenSSL requires that little advertising thing, and the GPL frowns upon
that requirement.  OpenSSL cannot be considered a 'system' library in Debian
because we are the OS distributors, and therefore distribute OpenSSL itself,
so there is no loophole for us to get away with distributing strict GPL code
linked to OpenSSL.

>                   So allthough I'm also upstream maintainer of mailsync I
>                   _have_ to state to myself that it's ok if I myself link
>                   mailsync against openssl. And it's not enough that I do
>                   it in mailsync's README. I _have_ to state in in
>                   Debian's copyright file otherwise James won't let it in.

Exactly. And that happens because others need the permission to distribute
that code TOO, and the copyright file must be kept current for sanity's sake
(mine, the ftpmaster's and any other users' of your package).  These
requirements are, by themselves, not unreasonable.

  Henrique Holschuh