Re: 88 Priority violations in woody

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 05:18:09PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > > Doesn't stop people from whacking my packages with it;
> > > bugs.debian.org/97671.
> >
> > I hope you're not referring to my initial raising it to serious...?
>
> Yes,

Well, I think it is serious, and not merely because someone somewhere has
made a document that says so, but because of the de facto standard that you
don't mesh binaries and configuration files. Of all seven hundred packages
on my system, there was one single "black sheep" that placed a binary among
the configuration files. In the large scheme of over a thousand
configuration files in my /etc/, there was this little deviant binary.
It crossed the line no other package crossed. This made me think it was a
serious bug, rather than normal.

> [1] "Problems in packages can only be considered fixed once a package
> that includes the bug fix enters the Debian archive."  At best this is
> misleading when the changelog-bug-auto-closing feature is used in
> conjunction with the "New Incoming" system.

That's not true, katie sends out the closing messages when the package is in
the Debian archive. It's not propagated to all the mirrors of the same
archive, but it nevertheless is in the archive. Even before NI, it sent the
bug-closing messages before the mirror sync was started.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.