Re: writing a release announcement

hi,
Have you considered adding something for those people who will be
thinking 'debian is always out of date; why should I bother installing
it when I will have to install a different, up to data distro in a few
months'

Most of these people don't know about unstable and testing. Also, if you
ever tell them to upgrade to unstable, they will think that this will
make their computer unusable; many people think that all the software
will be development versions from CVS, rather than stable software with
untested packaging.

I think it is important to explain to people that they can take
advantage of the very latest software using debian unstable, and in fact
it is quite possibly the very best distribution in terms of being up to
date with the latest releases. This may, of course, involve highlighting
the use of apt-get. You may be thinking that this is not directly
related to the release, but this release announcement is a great
marketing tool - many people will read it if they are even slightly
interested in debian.

Please note that I think such comments should be directed towards people
who have never used debian before. They do not know anything about the
way debian works; what these thousand debian developers do; what apt is;
how it is possible to update distributions witout buying new CDs every
few months;  also, they are likely to be possible future developers, or
at least bug reporters, if they are the sort of people who want the very
latest software.

I hope you consider this for inclusion in the announcement and think
carefully about the wording of it.

Mark Howard