Re: draft release announcement

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:49:30PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 01:46:42PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> > Debian GNU/Linux is a free Linux system. It is developed by nearly
> > a thousand volunteers from all over the world who collaborate via the
> > [ XXX 963, whether to round up or down is an open question.. ]

> I think it is more than fair to round up, as (I assume) you are only
> counting registered maintainers here, and there are probably more
> non-registered folks contributing than there are inactive maintainers.

> > This is the first version of Debian to feature cryptographic software
> > integrated into the distribution, rather than as an optional add-on.
> > Ssh and gnupg are included in the default install, and strong
> > encryption is now present in web browsers, databases, XXX, and YYY.
> > [ XXX fill in the blanks ]

> Mention crypto support in network services (apache, BIND, ftpd-ssl, exim,
> sendmail, snmpd, freeradius, others I'm sure).

Something was pointed out to me on IRC the other night that you may want
to take into consideration when framing any mention of crypto in the
release announcement.  From /usr/share/doc/libssl0.9.6/copyright:

 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
 *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
 *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
 *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)"
 *

and

 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
 *    must display the following acknowledgement:
 *    "This product includes cryptographic software written by
 *     Eric Young (eay@cryptsoft.com)"

I.e., probably 85% of the crypto we have in woody uses code that's
covered by the old-style BSD license.  Not only is the old BSD license
GPL-incompatible, the advertising clause also affects us if we do any
advertising regarding that references OpenSSL.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer