[PORPOSAL] The current NM process impairs Debian quality

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> writes:

> tags 142226 - potato
> severity 142226 grave
> thanks
>
> 1. This bug shouldn't be tagged "potato" since it does not affect a
>    package in potato but a package in unstable/testing.
>
> 2. This bug is RC because the package is missing a dependency on the
>    needed version of bash.
>    Consider e.g. what happens if during the upgrade process of a potato
>    system foomatic-bin gets installed before bash is upgraded.
>

> If you need a minimum version of another package add a dependency - it's
> perfectly legal to install your package on any Debian system where the
> dependencies of the package are fulfilled.

thank you for this clarification.  In fact I had thought of removing
the offending code in the first place.  But as I am still waiting for
my Debian account to be created, this again would have meant having to bug
other developers to upload the package.

I think this is a serious flaw in the current NM process.  To be clear
I don't have any problems with the NM process taking time, and I don't
think it's the DAM's fault.

Instead I think that the NM process doesn't take into account that a
prospective NM, once having completed all checks, is very likely to
have one or more packages in the distribution.  And, once that is, it
is very likely that bug reports are getting filed against those
packages.  Now these bugs are less likely to be fixed if the NM has to
bug other developers to sponsor the package for every little change to
be made.  The sponsoring system is OK for the first upload, maybe the
second, but after that it starts to annoy.

My proposal is to change the NM process so that the accounts are
created as soon as the ID check is passed.  They could be locked with
the AM having the ability to remove the lock.  As the AM is in contact
with the prospective NM and performs all the checks he IMHO is the
person to know best when it's time to make the account available.

regards manolo
--
  ... and don't get caught in the .NET!