Re: libsafe and Debian installation

I'd disagree that on a couple of points...

1) If we start asking questions like that, we could make arguments for
asking the user specifically if they want all sorts of other "useful
utilities" installed, to the point where we have 500 questions after
having already selected the packages to install.

2) I don't agree with trying to make a distro do the work of programmers
writing secure software.  If the software installed is buggy enough to
really need the extra security of libsafe, it should be patched or
removed from Debian.  Otherwise, we end up with a lot of people just
depending on libsafe, or programming students simply expecting certain
bugs not to matter on GNU/Linux, since Debian protects against it with
libsafe.

I can fully understand putting this in the install docs.  For example,
in a "Securing your Debian Installation" section or such - if the user
cares about security, they'll read that, see the information on libsafe,
and hopefully a very full description (more than we'd want to put on an
installation disk set) will help them make a more educated choice.