Re: Packages still in Potato

On Wed 10 Apr 2002, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> Otto Wyss <otto.wyss@bluewin.ch> writes:
>
> > Packages: dict-easton, dict-gazetteer, dict-hitchcock
>
> > The listed packages are still located in the Potato directory,
> > possibly because there wasn't any update necessary during the full
> > Woody development phase, but maybe also because there is no interest
> > in these packages. So please check your packages and do an upload,
> > so they get into the pool, or orphan them so others can take over or
> > they get removed.
>
> > Please inform me what you are doing or not doing. This way I may ask
> > others to do NMU's just in case.
>
>      These packages have not needed any updates.  The last update was
> solely to add the /usr/share/doc directory.  I had not contemplated
> another upload until post-woody, when the /usr/doc symlink could be
> removed.  In previous releases (before the pool concept was adopted),
> the unstable directory contained symlinks to the unstable directory,
> and the last step before release was converting any remaining symlinks
> to hard links.  Is it really necessary to make a new upload, rather
> than copying or linking these packages to the pool?
>
>      I will make a new upload before the woody release if it is
> necessary to do so.  Please let me know it this is required.

I got a similar message from him.
He hadn't done his research all that well either, as one of my packages
_had_ been uploaded since potato, but for some reason isn't built on arm
and hence isn't migrating to woody.

Besides, I'm fairly confident that packages won't silently disappear
from woody just because they're not currently in /pool/, the situation
isn't that different from earlier releases where the files were still in
the previous release's hierarchy, and were moved to the new release
hierarchy when that was released (or was it when it was frozen).

I'de hate to see a flurry of useless uploads just because of an
(incorrect) perceived threat to the packages' existence.

Paul Slootman