Re: Accepted gettext 0.10.40-5 (i386 all source)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Santiago Vila wrote:
> >  gettext (0.10.40-5) unstable; urgency=medium
> >  .
> >    * Modified /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50gettext.el so that it only uses
> >      modify-coding-system-alist when it's actually ok to do so.
> >      This closes: #110416 (xemacs21) and also closes: #141446 (emacs19).
> >    * Release Manager: This is the only change, and it's extremely unlikely
> >      that it breaks anything else. Please let it pass to testing.
>
> Does gettext still depend om emacs-* through gettext-el? I really would
> like to see that fixed before gettext makes it to testing.
>
> Wichert (who has had gettext on hold ever since that dependency was
> added).

The dependency was dropped in 0.10.40-4 (which you can install from
testing) at the same time the package was split using a double mutual
dependency. I know this is not optimal but the other alternatives were
even worse.

I still think we need a new dpkg field for package splits.

For example, gettext-el could have a field "Previously-In: gettext" so that
"apt-get upgrade" knows which packages have to be installed when
upgrading in order not to lose existing functionality.