Re: The GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) and /usr/share/common-licenses

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> So, in fact, both of these licenses are non-free, as they
> contain clauses that can be used, and will be considered
> non-free.

Your objection is true of the OPL, but RMS argues
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200111/msg00017.html
that that is not true of the GFDL because "The GFDL
says that invariant sections must cover only topics of how
the work relates to the authors or publishers."

> I find it ... foolish to declare a license to be free IFF
> some clauses of the license are not exercised. Using this
> language, any proprietary license becomes free as long as
> none of the proprietary sections are inforced by the author...

These cases are not the same.  A license with unexercised
options is very different from a license with proprietary
clauses (which don't happen to be enforced).

Again, though: Even if the GFDL options are exercised the result
is not a non-free license, but a license reasonably similar to
other free licenses already endorsed Debian.

Although the GFDL differs from the GPL in the way it imposes
liberty-enhancing restrictions, the restrictions seem to me
to be neither excessive nor unclear nor especially vulnerable
to misuse.

> If this is the kind of logic that is being used on the
> -legal mailing list, I'm glad not to expose myself to such
> nonsense.

Let this be a recommendation to others to read the debate
that already took place on debian-devel.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/debian-legal-200111/msg00006.html

--
Thomas Hood