Re: /dev/apm_bios perms 664?

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:50, Thomas Hood wrote:
> Permissions on /dev/apm_bios are currently 660.
> Is there any reason these permissions shouldn't be 664?
>
> The latter would allow non-root users to find out about
> power management events (but not to initiate them).

You should ask the authors of the apm kernel code about that.

> I would also like to know what people think would be the
> right way safely to allow users other than root to perform
> power management events.  Currently only root can perform
> apm suspend, for example.  It would be nice if anyone in
> the operator group could also do this.  The apm driver
> requires CAP_SYS_ADMIN for privileged operations, so a
> setuid program would be required.  Report #134595 asks
> that /usr/bin/apm simply be made setuid root; please read
> the discussion there first.

SUID root is not required to provide capabilities on LSM systems, but that's
probably not relevant to this discussion.

Why not use pam_group.so to add the apm group to the user if they login at
the console?  If you're at the console of a laptop you can always suspend by
shutting the lid anyway...