Re: debmake x dh-make

Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> writes:
> > Because it's not. debhelper is not a drop-in replacement for debmake.
> But the question is... shouldn't it be?

NO!  debmake was deeply flawed in its interface and implementation,
and were debhelper to be a drop-in replacement it would always be
fighting those constraints.  Bug-for-bug compatability would not be an

Honestly, it escapes me how anyone in the last couple of years could
do a survey of source packages and get the idea that debmake was in
wide-spread use, and thuse choose it instead of debhelper.  I'm sorry
someone didn't do their homework, and feels put out, but that's no
fault of, or defect in, debhelper