Re: Packages file [WAS: Splitting Packages]

> > I like this since it solves the same purpose, a separate essiential
> > line isn't necessary.
> Well, no. The debian-policy explains the difference, read Section 2.2
> ("Priorities") and Section 2.3.7 ("Essential packages") to find out.
I don't see any problem to tag a package with "Priority: Essential"
instead tag it with a separate line "Essential: Yes"! Policy can be
followed in both way.

Only in the rather academic case where an essential package is replaced
by another (non essential) package there might be a confusion. But if
you look closly, the non essential package can't have a essential line
either. In any case there has to be taken care of essential packages
which can't be installed.

O. Wyss

Author of "Debian partial mirror synch script"