Re: Debian's problems, Debian's future

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 04:55:17PM +0100, Otto Wyss wrote:
> > If you really care about bandwide, build a local mirror with my download
> > script (option -A) and see that apt accesses the local mirror first when
> > updating. I dare to assert that this is currently by far the best
> > solution for saving bandwide.
>
> ? How does this avoid downloading the packages file?

It does not avoid it, it does it in a smart way. Just now it needed to
read less than 100k to get the full Packages (6M) file. This is 15 times
better than any apt utility does since any downloads the full
Packages.gz (1.6M). Of course any apt utility could do the same trick as
I do but so far none does. Also the other 2 tricks I do could be done by
any but I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

As I mentioned in my other message, the full savings is only possible if
an rsync friendly packer is used on the server side. My estimate is a
reduction by a factor of two at least.

O. Wyss

--
Author of "Debian partial mirror synch script"
("http://dpartialmirror.sourceforge.net/";)