Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:49:51AM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:01:57AM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > Someone found the need for it and wrote the program.  Someone else found
> > if worthy of their time to package it.  Who are you to judge whether
> > it's useful or not?  If it turns out to not be useful, sooner or later
> > it will be orphaned, get really stale, and eventually get dropped from
> > the archive.  A collection of "stupid little scripts", as call it, is
> > not likely to bloat the archive any more than 20 web browsers based on
> > gecko will.

> True, but I'm much more concerned with bloating Packages [sorry that I didn't
> say that in the first place]. On low end machines, like m64k or 386/486
> with little ram (<32M) it becomes a horrid process to try to update the
> system just because Packages is getting out of control.

Erm, I run apt on a 70MHz ARM box with 16M of RAM (and no swap!) and IMHO it
runs rather well considering.. The slowest part is calculating all the
dependencies, and it is packages that have 10s of dependencies not little
things like this that are slowing that down.

Jason