Re: problem with debconf and start-stop-daemon

On 22-Mar-02, 15:11 (CST), "Chad C. Walstrom" <chewie@wookimus.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:42:30PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > Interesting. Would the following be a legitimate practice in the initscript?
> > 		ln /usr/sbin/foo /usr/sbin/foo.running
> > 		start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/sbin/foo.running
>
> Not of /usr is mounted "read-only".

Doh!

> You may have been posting out of sarcasm, though, so disregard this
> post if you were.

I wasn't, although I wasn't seriosly thinking it should be standard
practice, either. The --exec thing has always bugged me, though. (I
*do* understand why it's a generally good idea, but the fact that a
debian specific bit of code interacts badly with upgrades seems a little
ironic.)

Steve

--
Steve Greenland