Re: PUBLIC GNUPG KEY REVOCATION FOR DAVID D.W. DOWNEY

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 08:02:16AM -0600, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 05:45:23PM -0500, Dave Baker wrote:
> > You *CANNOT* revoke a key by sending an email.  You can only revoke it
> > by sending a signed revocation certificate to the keyserver, and

> Please define.  I have had a couple keys I've revoked, or so I believe.
> I imported the revocation certificates to my keychain, revoked any other
> cross-referencing signatures, and then imported the updated PUBLIC KEY
> to the keyserver.  If there's a way to send a signed, revocation
> certificate to a keyserver, I would like to know how.

A revocation cert is signed by definition.  And it can only be uploaded
to the keyserver once it's been attached to your public key.

> What is the proper way to do this if what I did was not correct?  Why is
> this process not documented well?  I certainly cannot find anything in
> the GnuPG documentation about exporting "signed recocation certificates"
> to the keyserver.

More troubling is that there's nothing in the Debian developers'
documentation about such issues.  I'm compiling a list of these problems
as they're posted to the mailing lists, and hope to start work on a sort
of PGP FAQ for developers soon.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer