Re: about the debian way

    Steve> On 15-Mar-02, 20:59 (CST), Sam Hartman
    Steve> <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:

    Steve> That's exactly what's happened. See bug 138484. Apparently
    Steve> the suggestion that a user simply edit a file is now
    Steve> considered insulting and against "the debian way", even
    Steve> though that ability to modify is considered one of the core
    Steve> benefits of free software. I'll note that the other
    Steve> respondent to this thread came up with the same suggestion.

No, it's more that if the feature is wanted by enough people you
should probably provide a better way to do it than relying on
conffiles.  The issue is that conffiles present a fairly ugly UI and
that if the user needs justify it, a better UI should be provided.

I like to think of conffiles as a great solution to all the
configuration choices that I'm not going to think of but that one or
two people want.  It is important at least to me to make sure that the
vas majority of users of my packages do not need to edit conffiles.

If your explanation is that you don't think the feature is worth the
complexity of maintaining, then first I'll note that is your call to
make.  Secondly, it seems like a reasonable call in this case.