Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 14:28, Reagan Blundell wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 02:13:13PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
> > commence  Reagan Blundell quotation:
> >
> > > Am I the only one who finds it odd that people are complaining about
> > > offensive jokes in the BitchX package.. yet they have no problems
> > > using software that has a quite obviously derogatory sexist name?
> >
> > Just out of curiosity: what term do you use when referring to female
> > canines?
> >

> Yes, and I'm sure the 30 or 40 times a week I hear the word "Bitch" on
> TV and in the street is due people referring to canines. Given todays
> society, and the sort of culture that seems to be popular on many of
> the larger IRC servers, I'd be willing to bet that the creators of
> BitchX weren't referring to canines either.

And I'm sure that seeing BitchX on your machine offends you horribly
after hearing it 30 or 40 times on TV and in the street, too.

Go ahead and install an IRC client that doesn't have "bitch" in its
name.  Come 29.5 seconds later (if you're lucky enough to go *that*
long), you'll see a lot worse than "bitch" scrolling across you screen,
given the popular culture you mentioned.