Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:56:08PM -0600, Timothy R. Butler wrote:
> Howdy,
> > I think it is unreasonable. That's like saying that the library has a
> > right to burn books that it finds filthy or innappropriate. If you
>
>   Perhaps, but please go into your library and tell me how many racist books
> are in there. I would be more than willing to bet that your average library
> does not go out of it's way to include offensive books.

Tom Sawyer?

> > modify source code simply to remove the authors remarks, your are
> > censoring, and are no better than a book-burner.
>
>   So, if someone creates a program that has a button that says "Please Click
> Here," and that button initializes the hard disk, are we to assume the
> package maintainer is not to edit it so to avoid infringing on Upstream's
> rights (exactly how many rights they actually have when dealing with a
> private project is on shaky ground).

You people have a hard time seperating technical and political aspects
of things. I'll leave you all to fight about issues that are older than
most nations.

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '