Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:01:41PM -0600, Scott Dier wrote:
> * Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> [020313 17:22]:
> > anarchy docs, bitchx, sex, etc. etc. etc.
>
> This reeks of 'abstaince-only' sexual education. (Yes, there are public
> schools who don't tell their kids about condoms if their parents desire.)
>
> Is the focus of debian jr. to promote ignorance, or to provide a package
> set for kids?

The argument was that Debian Jr. is for kids (like little kids, not
teenagers). IMO, if you are installing for a child, you should pay close
attention to anything you install anyway. But, for the sake of forcing
the issue, the Debian Jr. metapackage could conflict with known
offensive packages. It's perfectly normal to do so. I surely wouldn't
give my 5 year old a subscription to a nude magazine along with his
Children's Book of the Month Club.

Ben

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '