Re: [SECURITY] [DSA 122-1] New zlib & other packages fix buffer overflow

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 07:50:44PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Michael Stone wrote:
> >  A number of programs either link statically to zlib or include
> > a private copy of zlib code. These programs must also be upgraded
> > to eliminate the zlib vulnerability. The affected packages and fixed
> > versions follow:
> >   amaya 2.4-1potato1
> >   dictd 1.4.9-9potato1
> >   erlang 49.1-10.1
> >   freeamp 2.0.6-2.1
> >   mirrordir 0.10.48-2.1
> >   ppp 2.3.11-1.5
> >   rsync 2.3.2-1.6
> >   vrweb 1.5-5.1
>
> So how many of these packages actually have a good reason to include
> their own zlib or link statically? This particular security hole is a
> classic example of why doing either with any library is braindead.
> Shouldn't we try to make them all use the standard zlib, dynamically
> linked?

Of those, in sid: rsync uses a modified zlib and can't dynamically link;
amaya now links dynamically; freeamp links dynamically; vrweb links
dynamically. dictd should link dynamically, but needs a smarter build
process. mirrordir is easy to fix.

--
Mike Stone