Re: Checking packages for damage

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 07:11:04PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Is there a package to check installed packages for damage?  I've been
> talking to someone who mistakenly deleted /var/spool and the problem was
> identifying what packages had lost files.
>
> I have a small script to do the check, but wonder if someone had done
> something more comprehensive.

There is apparently sometinhg called debsums which will check installed
packages against a list of md5sums. Unfortunatly, not all packages come with
md5 sums (for no reason I can fathom). However, for packages that do include
them, they are stored in /var/lib/dpkg/info/packagename.md5sums.

Your script seems to be the best you can do without them.

I wonder how hard it would be to get the md5sums included in the Contents.gz
file present on CDs.

(I have an interest in this since apparently my libICE got hosed due to a
bad shutdown, which caused all sorts of interesting issues.)

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/