Re: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

whether removing rpath from a binary is a good thing or not depends on
where the linked library is going to be installed.

if the shared library is going to be installed in a conventional
directory (read, know to the linker) the rpath that refers to it can
be dropped.

rpath is used to let the linked know where to find the library in case
it is not in a "known location".

on the methods for removing --rpath there were lots of
discussions. sometimes upgrading the libtool stuff in debian source
tree is sufficient, some other times hacks are required. i suggest you
to make a search in mailing list archive.

ciao

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:39:02PM -0800, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> How do you solve the binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath lintian warning?  In a
> package I am preparing, --rpath is passed to the linker via libtool:
>
>  /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc    -o pgedit  pgedit.o -lpgui
>  mkdir .libs
>  gcc -o pgedit pgedit.o  /usr/local/lib/libpgui.so -Wl,--rpath
>  -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
>
> How do I fix this?  The expanded version of the warning says to ask here.

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://filibusta.crema.unimi.it/~cavok/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50