Re: Outside of Debian (Re: Package splitting and upgrades)

Lex Spoon <lex@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:

>> I'd say 30 minutes with sources.list(5), dpkg-scanpackages(1) and
>> dpkg-scansources(1), or 10 minutes with (groups.)google.com, eg. it
>> is documented (in German) in the debian-user-german-FAQ
>> http://www.sylence.de/dudfaq/ _if_ you want to publish only for one
>> architecture and can live with a flat directory-layout. You do not
>> need to separate binary-all and binary-{i386,arm, ...} and component
>> in apt sources.list is optional, too:
[...]
> Finally I found this HOWTO:
>        http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/giles/repository/repository.html

> It's very hands-on, and isn't helpful in finding what the real rules
> are.  I largely copied what they suggest.  It still didn't help with the
> -all issue -- I guess this guy doesn't distribute any platform-neutral
> packages.

> On your last sentence, let me make sure I understand.  I don't have to
> put non-US (and whatever else) at the top level?  I could just start
> with binary-all and binary-i386?   The guy who wrote the above HOWTO
> didn't seem to realize that, and I didn't even think to try some
> different arrangement.

You can either use a totally flat layout without separating Sources
from Binaries _"if you want to publi..."_. See my prevous posting for
how to do it, or you can use ./ as /component/
/toplevel/dists/somedir/{binary-*,source}
deb http://toplevel somedir ./
deb-src http://toplevel somedir ./

If you specify a component[1]
deb uri distribution [component1]
apt'll look for
uri/dists/distribution/component1/binary-i386/Packages.gz, if you omit
component and distribution ends with a slash
deb uri distribution/
apt'll look for uri/distribution/Packages.gz

The added complexity of specifying a component instead of using a
direct path makes only sense if you distibute Packages for multiple
architectures. If you do that, you should really take a look at
apt-ftparchive.

About binary-all: with a flat directory-layout you simply throw them
into the same directory, else you simply use Symlinks
binary-$ARCH/some_version_all.deb ---> ../binary-all/some_version_all.deb
That is what afaik debian used in pre-pool times.
            cu andreas
[1] You can use ./ as a component, too.
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest _tin_