Re: feedback wanted alternative Debian installation system

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:10:32PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > There is already plex86 in Debian which does the same as
> > VMware. And besides that the most important thing is that plex86 is
> > free.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with how
> useful plex86 (formerly known as Bochs, right?) is yet.

	Well, yes and no.  plex86 has pieces of bochs inside it; but
it's different.

	Bochs is an emulator.  You can drop it on a Mac, and run i386
binaries on it.

	plex86 is a virtualiser.  It wraps around binaries, and tricks
them into thinking that they're actually running on a machine.  The code
is all executed on the processor; but any special calls are intercepted.

Simon