Re: When the compiler just can't cut it....

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Camm Maguire wrote:

> But on some machines, the compilers simply cannot handle extremely
> complex code like this.  gcc can't handle atlas-required large branches
> on mips, g77 produced lapack is garbage on ia64 (i.e. gives correct
> testing answers no where), hppa compilers die on many of these files
> and have floating point errors, etc.

> What I'm asking is what one is ideally supposed to do in a situation
> like this.

The best thing IMO is to ask on the relevant port list, they will either
tell you to drop the package (noone does 3D graphics on a VAX :-) ) or
know which compiler version it works with. :-)

   Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4