Re: The Debian vote taking machinery (Very Long)

 Aaron> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@debian.org> writes:
 >> I do not think you will have time to complete and test a new vote
 >> infrastructure in time (we did this last time, it sucked).

 Aaron> Having implemented a production voting system myself,(*) I suspect
 Aaron> you're right; Murphy's Law definitely applies in full force.  That
 Aaron> said, Manoj's system seems like a win in terms of maintainability, and
 Aaron> I wish him luck should he go through with it.

	I guess I am an incurable optimist, then. Remember, this is
 not a complex system, with perhaps unknown linkages between
 subsystems. I am not opting to use a ``real'' database on this first
 implementation -- indeed, I am going to try and set up a interface
 layer that can be used to abstract away a backend (so we can, in the
 future, move to a real RDBMS).  For the first implementation, though,
 using just the file system, we have 3 weeks to test 5 scripts. And
 each of these scripts is simple by itself, and can be independently
 tested.

	In other words, I am hoping that modularity, independent
 testing and implementation, idempotence, and designing data integrity
 into the system from the get go (each new mail does not touch the
 previous data received) shall save us from some of the bugbears of
 Murphy.

	Of course, it may mean that I'll have to manually count votes,
 but hey.

	manoj
--
 The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I
 will walk carefully. Russian Proverb