Re: cross-compilers

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Steve Langasek wrote:

> If you upload a binutils-mipsel package to the archive that's arch: any
> (or arch: !mipsel), that means the autobuilders will try to build it on
> all other architectures -- including m68k and arm, even though no one in
> their right mind would use an m68k or arm machine to build binaries for
> mipsel. ;)

You'd be surprised...I've actually had a cross-compiler on my m68k for
another (different) m68k target.  Sounds dumb, but it was necessary at the
time (and took FOREVER to build initially).

> Uploading cross-building packages that are
>
>   arch: i386 powerpc sparc alpha hppa ia64 s390
>
> might be a better idea -- /if/ someone wanted to maintain them.  And if
> things don't crash&burn now when going between 32 & 64 bit
> architectures, like they did last time I tried to build a
> cross-compiler for alpha->anything.

That is a good idea, but bear in mind that embedded targetted toolchains
may be better compiled even on the slowest archs (you never know who may
want one or why).

As for 64->32 bit cross-toolchains, I agree.  I've run into quite a few
problems going the other way as well.  Problems may be inevitable in those
cases.  FWIW, I did have one alpha->i386 toolchain somewhat working once,
but have since deleted it since I built up the i386 system that was in
pieces in my house :-)