two porting issues, gperiodic and gfontview

Hi,

Two of my three recent uploads failed to recompile on the buildds.
I'd like to fix them but unfortunately I'm not sure how to do it.

The first one is gperiodic.

http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=&pkg=gperiodic

It fails to build in the generic GNU intl/ directory, which is pretty
suspicious. I've had to hack the upstream sources to have the
po/Makefile(.in|) properly regenerated, and it seems that has worked, but
apparently that wasn't the only issue with the localization code.

I've also removed the autoconf build-dependency by removing the autoconf
call from debian/rules and instead shipping the regenerated files already,
but I'm not sure if m4 is still necessary or was it merely pulled in
automatically by autoconf.

The second one is gfontview.

http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=&pkg=gfontview

It dies detecting the C++ compiler. I see no obvious reason why AC_PROG_CXX
would fail like that. The only remotely fishy thing I can see there is
setting of CXXFLAGS and LIBS before that test is run, but I don't see
anything harmful in those things that are set.

And, needless to say, both of the packages built and rebuilt several times
on my machines, so I'd appreciate any help...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.