Re: vim RC bug #133314: question on postinst file

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 09:59:55PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > You might want to send a copy of the fix for exuberant-ctags and dia, which
> > seem to have the same postinst snippet.
>
> I maintain exuberant-ctags as well and uploaded a fix for that as well.
> The fix is really trivial: just stick a || true after the
> update-alternatives --display call.

Jon seems to be right, in that the test doesn't seem to work properly:

sh-2.05a$ for i in vi view ex editor ; do (update-alternatives --display $i) | grep '^\(vim\|/usr/man\)'; done
sh-2.05a$

(The output contains "^/usr/bin/vim", but never "^vim".  It contains
"/usr/share/man", but never at the beginning of a line.)

Is this intended to allow users to change the priority of alternatives
without it being clobbered on upgrade?  (That sounds like something that
could be done within update-alternatives, but I'm not exactly sure how.)
I can't think of any other reason for this (and that doesn't seem like a
very useful thing to do, anyway.)

I just noticed this: the package "ed" is installing itself to /bin/ed
and ed(1), with no alternatives.  This is confusing things: there's both
/bin/ed (ed package) and /usr/bin/ed (vim package alternatives).
ed(1) is /bin/ed's.

---
4:40pm root@zewt.pts/3 [~] update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/ed ed
/usr/bin/vim 120 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/ed.1.gz ed.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/vim.1.gz --verbose

Checking available versions of ed, updating links in /etc/alternatives ...
(You may modify the symlinks there yourself if desired - see `man ln'.)
Leaving ed (/usr/bin/ed) pointing to /usr/bin/vim.
warning: /usr/share/man/man1/ed.1.gz is supposed to be a slave symlink to
/etc/alternatives/ed.1.gz, or nonexistent; however, readlink failed: Invalid argument
Leaving ed.1.gz (/usr/share/man/man1/ed.1.gz) pointing to /usr/share/man/man1/vim.1.gz.
---

I'm not sure how this could be fixed, other than renaming /bin/ed.

--
Glenn Maynard