Re: policy on start-stop-daemon

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:29, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > It cannot be moved to a "cron-cleanup" target on /etc/init.d?
>
> I don't see what the use if of making /etc/init.d scripts do so
> many different things. They are meant to be used for starting
> and stopping services.

That is exactly my thoughts regarding using start-stop-daemon as a
replacement for "sudo" as is being done in the man-db package.

> If something more powerful/flexible is needed (report status,
> detailed status, uptimes, cleanups, etc.) we should think about
> a proper structure for that instead of blindly adding more and
> more options to what should be a simple script to start or stop
> a service.

Maybe we could start by having a program which allows running a process from
root in a non-root UID without requiring a valid shell (as sudo does but
without the option of gaining extra privs).  Then when man-db and packages
like it use that program we'll be a bit closer to having things done cleanly.