Re: Akka - Arabic Console package

>>> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> 02/11/02 22:35 PM >>>

> Read on, to the next paragraph in the New Maintainer's Guide.  What it
says
> is that you should not choose such a package for your > first package.

That is not an option I can entertain. I work with the Arabeyes project,
and Akka is a top priority to be packaged at the moment. Obviously it
would be nice to have started off with a 'simpler' package, but seeing
that no one also was willing to do it, and I spent the time (and still
am) to do it properly, I think you would have to overlook that
'suggestion' in the New Maintainer's Guide.

> /sbin is not a matter of opinion; the FHS specifies criteria to be
used in
> making this decision, and Debian Policy mandates conformance to the
FHS.

> So if it is used by non-root users, it belongs in a /bin directory.
Unless
> the tools are needed very early in the boot process,
> they should go in /usr/bin.

Then it will be placed into /sbin. Akka by default can only be executed
by root, and if you have gone to the project page you would see why. For
many new distributions (Arabic linux distributions), Akka is a very
likely candidate to be used during the initial installation and setup
sessions.

> console-data@packages.debian.org, or Yann Dirson
> <dirson@debian.org>

Thank you for the info.