Re: curly brackets a bashism?

begin  Glenn Maynard  quotation:

> Of course, scripts intended to run under plain /bin/sh should be tested
> with a shell that actually emulates it, which bash doesn't, but I don't
> see much of a gain in going through the pain of writing a shell script
> without any bash extensions that's intended for use on a Debian system,
> which always has bash available.

The Debian boot floppies have ash, but not bash, because of size
concerns, so any package that might need to be installed from that
environment cannot use bashisms in its installation scripts. It seems
simpler to just say "no bashisms in package scripts" rather than
distinguish between those that might need to install when bash is not
available, and those that can depend on it. It would seem like asking
for trouble to say "no bashisms in base packages, but other than that
it's okay" -- people would tend to forget.

Craig