Re: policy on start-stop-daemon

Hi Russell!

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Russell Coker wrote:
> When policy is opened up for changes again (after the release of woody) I
> plan to propose the following change:
>
> Either start-stop-daemon should not be called from cron, or if it is called
> from cron then it should be called with a special parameter to indicate that
> it is being run from cron.

Please search for invoke-rc.d in the policy BTS, verify wether you really
need anything changed or added to it, and submit a followup there and in
-policy.  Maybe what you need to do is not a change in start-stop-daemon,
but rather in the init.d script themselves, or in invoke-rc.d.

> Then systems such as SE Linux which need to change the functionality of
> start-stop-daemon to give special privs to daemons can determine if a program
> is being started from a cron job and act accordingly.
>
> My current SE Linux code requires that the administrator password be entered
> to start a daemon from any program other than init (which results in cron
> jobs using start-stop-daemon such as those from man-db aborting because there
> is no terminal device).

Does that work well with the current /etc/init.d architecture?  What happens
to maintainer scripts that try to call start-stop-daemon directly? Or to
maintainer scripts that try to call /etc/init.d/ scripts directly?

  Henrique Holschuh