Re: Upstream debian/ directory

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:29:09PM -0800, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:21:03AM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I find it a pain and wish upstreams wouldn't do it. The usual problem
> > that results is that they have files in debian/ that I want to remove,
> > but find I can't because you can't remove files in the Debian diff. If I
> > find an upstream package with a debian/ directory, I'm likely to remove
> > it in the .orig.tar.gz and sacrifice the benefits of having pristine
> > source.
>
> I understand. However, I am not talking about the upstream maintaining their
> debian/ dir, but the debian maintainer maintaining the debian/ in the
> upstream.

Ah, I misread, sorry.

Of the two of my packages where I'm also the upstream, I keep the
debian/ directory in the tarball only for the one that I wrote
specifically for Debian and which uses the native package format. The
other has the debian/ directory and a number of other changes (mostly
backports) in the diff. This seems to make sense to me, although it may
not to anyone else.