Re: Upstream debian/ directory

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 01:16:52AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> > Hi! I wanted to start a thread about whether or not having at least a
> > minimal debian packaging system in the upstream of a piece of software is a
> > good thing, a bad thing, or harmless.
>
> Unless I'm very much mistaken we've had this discussion last
> year already, it should be in the list archives.

I assume you mean 'Integration of debian/ scripts in packages'?
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200106/msg00128.html>

The discussion at that time sort of petered out into talk about the evils of
patches made to upstream source files. There were also rumblings about the
upstream debian/ getting in the debian maintainers way.

This is not the situation as I described it. I meant the upstream debian/ as
maintained by the debian developer. The issues I listed were only touched on
in the old thread in a peripheral manner.

However, there's no sense flogging a dead beast. I infer that there is no
definite: 'It is good!' or 'It is evil!'. So, I'll just do whatever is most
convenient for a given project.

Later.

--
Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca>