Re: Crazy APT/dpkg suggestion (user-installable packages)

On 06 Feb 2002 15:06:23 +0100
Federico Di Gregorio <fog@debian.org> wrote:

> Il mer, 2002-02-06 alle 14:39, Kevin B. McCarty ha scritto:
> the user prepares a nice package with a well-chosen name and put inside
> a suid shell and install it. wow! root shell gained without any effort!
> nice idea... :(
yes... that would suck, but one should not depend on root powers to
install something into $HOME, you see... if I want to install, say,
sylpheed on my $HOME, what will I need root for? unpack the deb?
no. create directories? no. I can see the problem for apache, fetchmail
(creates a user)... but many packages would be handled very well

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
| : :'  : + Debian BR.......: <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>+
| `. `'`  + Q: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"          +
|   `-    | A: "Upstream's decision." -- hmh                  |