Re: calling all ports: what is your endianness?

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:53:43AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> [2002.01.22.0132 +0100]:
> >   Shouldn't this be a configure test?  I'd imagine that just stuffing
> > several bytes into an array and then testing the result as a word would
> > be sufficient.

Thanks to all who replied.  For the record, I used the <endian.h> header
as suggested by Daniel Jacobowitz.

> moreover, a PowerPC can be run big or little endian. this *should* be a
> dynamic test, which is so trivial to write...

On an architecture like this that can be run in either mode, is the
mode set at boot and never changed?  If so, is it fixed for all Debian
systems?  Or can a process switch the mode for itself?  Or can it be
switched globally while the system is running?

Idly yours,
-Steve

--
by Rocket to the Moon,