Re: Spam (Re: Urgent Investment)

>>"Matt" == Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

 Matt> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 02:37:44PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> [...]
 Matt> The only measure that seems to work is restricting list postings to
 Matt> subscribers only.  Unfortunately, this is also a major inconvenience for
 Matt> those who use the list legitimately.

 >> I would not go so far as to say that is the _only_ measure
 >> that works. I have had very few leaks, using a combination of
 >> mailagent, incorporating spamassassin and razor feedback, along with
 >> a home grown spammers lists.

 Matt> I looked into spamassassin shortly after I sent that message,
 Matt> and I am pretty pleased with it (though it seems to regularly
 Matt> mis-flag messages on debian-bugs-dist due to #131317).

 Matt> But the messages still need to be filtered, and it can't be
 Matt> 100% (or even 99%) accurate, so that dropping messages on the
 Matt> server side is not an option, and the human subscribers would
 Matt> still have to sift through the messages.

	Note that I did not advocate using just spamassassin alone. I
 have built a lot of intelligence into mailagent over the years, and
 after all the processing, it is just grist in the mill of the
 adaptive scoring mechanism for Gnus.

	I'd be willing to bet I do better than 99%, since all my mail
 goes through spambaouncer + mailagent + spamassassin + razor + Gnus
 scoring.

	manoj
--
 I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of
 responsibility and to discharge my duties as king as I would wish to